Teddy Bear’s Picnic
Let’s enjoy our sunny days and have a picnic, indoors or outdoors (In the back garden) your choice!
Get your blanket/picnic area ready and let’s begin our fun day!
‘’For every bear that ever there was’’
Ask your child to choose one or more teddies to bring to your picnic.
‘’You better go in disguise’’
Ask the child if they would like to dress up? Maybe their favourite outfit they like to wear, their princess dress, their favourite superhero costume or pyjamas! Let them choose!
Get the paints, colouring pencils/markers at the ready and let’s make some teddy bears ears.
It’s time to get messy and creative!
‘’There’s lots of marvellous things to eat’’
LET’S HAVE SOME YUMMY FOOD.
- Lots of fruit
Maybe even do some baking before your picnic and enjoy a little treat, Cupcakes or Cookies? Don’t forget to make some extra for your bears (or for your mammy or daddy to enjoy with a cup of tea that night after this fun eventful day!)
‘’Beneath the trees were nobody sees’’
After our food lets snuggle up and read a story.
This gives children a chance to enjoy a lovely story while also learning and exploring.
Perhaps ask your child:
- ‘Can you name this colour’ (while pointing to a certain colour) or ‘Can you show me the colour_______’
- Naming different animals (If you have a book with animals) and what noise the animal makes, etc.
Children love discussing books after they have read them with you. Try and see can you ask them questions based on the book you just read, you will be surprised what they come up with!
‘’Wonderful games to play’’
Let’s have some fun and laughs.
Will we start off with some hide and seek? Or maybe a teddy bear hunt? Or how about mixing them both together?
Ask parents/guardians to hide your bears while you cover your eyes and count to 10.
(Maybe you might even find an extra little surprise along the way?)
Guess the bear…
Ask the child/children to close their eyes (no peeking!) or use a blindfold on the child/ children (Ask the child If they are comfortable to do so) whichever they decide you can then choose a teddy and put it into their hands so they have to feel and guess which teddy it is.
Extra Activities: (Optional, See end pages)
- Do some bear face-painting
- Make a teddy bear’s picnic basket
- Make some play cupcakesfor the teddy bears
- Create some teddy bear art
Singing and clapping games are the order of the day. And don’t forget simple nursery rhymes. Any songs or rhymes that the children can use their bears to do the actions to are obviously extra special.
There are classics like:
Round and round the garden
Like a Teddy Bear
One step, two step.
And tickle him under there!
You can also change the words of other rhymes to fit the Teddy Bear theme. Ring a ring o’ rosies becomes-
A group of tired old Teddies
Are ready for their Beddies
One two, one two
They all lie down.
Use your Teddies to do the actions and have some fun.
You put your Teddy Bear in
You put your Teddy Bear out.
And shake it all about
You do the Teddy Hokey Cokey and you turn around
Thats what its all about!
Oh Teddy Hokey Cokey
Oh Teddy Hokey Cokey
Oh Teddy Hokey Cokey
Bears up – Bears down
Rah, Rah, Rah
Finish the songs with:
Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around (children turn around)
Teddy bear, teddy bear touch the ground (children touch the ground)
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the sky (children stretch their arms up high)
Teddy bear, teddy bear, wave GOODBYE! (children wave their hands)
Make a Mask
- You can make a bear mask with your child using paper or a paper plate.
- Paint it or use markers to create a bear face.
- Add two holes as eyes, so you can see.
- Don’t forget to give it ears – perhaps even some brown fur – and make it wearable by attaching a string to the sides of the mask with staples or make holes and tie it to each side.
- Even use a lollipop stick and stick it to the bottom so you can hold it up to your face.
Teddy Bear’s Picnic Basket
Supplies for a Teddy Bear Picnic Basket:
- Construction paper or card
- Crayons, markers, paints, stamps, etc. for decorating
- Stapler, glue or tape
- Start with a square piece of paper and a strip of paper for a handle.
- Make a cut from each corner toward the centre.
- Decorate your basket anyway you choose – crayons, markers, paint, stamps, etc.
- To fold your basket, pull the sides together, overlapping the corners in front of the centre piece. Secure with a staple, glue or tape and repeat on the other sides.
- Attach the handle to your basket using a staple, glue or tape.
Yay, your basket is ready – just in time for your picnic!
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, spooned and levelled
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- about 1/2 to 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pull out 2 medium bowls, one for dry ingredients, one for wet.
- In one bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt the butter in the other bowl. You don’t have to melt it all the way, it’s okay if there are a couple of lumps. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk in the vanilla, then the egg. Whisk in the honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to stir until it has just come together (don’t overdo it).
- Save out about half of the chocolate chips. Use a sharp knife to roughly chop the remaining chocolate, then fold it into the dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes, or freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Use your hands to shape the dough into roughly 15 cookies (or 12 if you eat a lot of dough like me…)
- Place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-13 minutes, or until they have just started to brown on the edges.
- Once you remove them from the oven, immediately press the remaining chocolate chips into the tops of the cookies.
- Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Drink with lots of milk!
Love and miss you all!
Stay safe and we will see you soon.
Sending lots of hugs x