Autumn is the season for apples in Ireland, so let’s have a look at this tasty Apple Sponge Cake recipe, ideal for the entire family!
This cake makes a delicious addition to any dessert spread. Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 225g/80z Self Raising Flour
- 175g/6oz Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 175g/6oz Butter or Margarine
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- 2 Eating Apples, Peeled and Chopped
Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 2lb/900g loaf tin and line the base with grease proof paper.
- In a bowl beat the butter/margarine and granulated sugar together using an electric mixer.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Next sieve the flour and cinnamon.
- Add in the chopped apples and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin, level the top using the back of a spoon.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes in a central oven position until risen and firm to touch.
- Allow the cake to stand in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn onto a wire tray to cool.